Are you about to buy a used boat? Youâ€™ve been dreaming about it for several years, youâ€™re ready to take the plunge and explore the ocean aboard your own boat! Perhaps you are hesitating between buying a used boat or buying a new one? Discover in this very complete guide all our advice before buying a used motor boat. You will see that many criteria are taken into account to make sure you are not mistaken.
WHY BUY A USED BOAT?
Buying a used boat is a good solution if you want to enjoy the joys of boating and navigation for a more reasonable price. The prices of these second-hand ships are more reasonable, it can also allow you to target higher end, larger and more comfortable boats, while staying within your budget.
It is also an interesting opportunity for a first purchase, it allows you to get used to sailing with a cheaper model, even if it means changing later for a new or more prestigious boat.
Second-hand yachts also have the advantage of being less expensive in terms of shopping and insurance.
It is also an opportunity for apprentice sailors to learn about the maintenance and upgrading of powerboats and to perfect their experience as sailors.
The second-hand boating market is very rich, many models of boats are available. The opportunity to find the rare pearl and the boat of your dreams at a lower cost.
FOR WHAT TYPE OF NAVIGATION?
Before you go to great lengths to buy a used boat, it is essential to determine the use you want to make of it and the type of navigation you plan to use it. From simple occasional walks to sea fishing and long and recurrent cruises. Boat types and investment differ
With family or friends you want to take advantage of a motor boat to take pleasant walks along the coast and admire the wild coast from the sea, bathe in the turquoise waters of the Gulf of Morbihan and access the many deserted coves that Brittany offers.
For this type of boat and use it is possible to start with a simple semi-rigid used boat.
Depending on the comfort desired in terms of navigation and service, we prefer an open hull boat or a second-hand cabin boat.
BOATING AND LEISURE BOATING:
If the sea is a playground for you too, pleasure boats designed for leisure are for you! These generally small boats offer services generally reserved for water sports activities. But if they remain mixed and a good compromise between walking, relaxation and leisure.
Treat yourself to a new toy with a used pleasure motor boat!
In addition to walks and family walks, you will have many other uses. Water skiing, wakeboarding, regatta, short cruises.
Most recreational boats are made of plastic or fibreglass, durable, comfortable and equally safe.
RACE-CRUISE, SPORTS NAVIGATION
Do you feel like a pilotâ€™s soul, do you like sensations and do you already have an important sea experience? Treat yourself to a beautiful outboard or luxury yacht! Power, elegance and speed at the price of a second-hand boat.
SEA FISHING :
It is well known that Morbihan waters are populated by fish and shellfish that make fishermen happy. If you want to buy a boat for sea fishing, opt for a simple boat but equipped for it, the ideal is to buy a boat that once belonged to a fisherman. He may be able to give you some tips and good places to visit! ðŸ˜‰
The essential equipment for your fishing boats:
- cane holder
- A large open cockpit
- A shelter in case of bad weather or to shelter from the sun
The different types of fishing boats:
- Cabin boat with large cockpit
- Semi-rigid boat; for the more sporty â€“ Discover our guide to choose a semi-rigid
- Traditional or Nordic trawler with full flat deck
YOUR BUDGET: THE COSTS FOR A USED BOAT?
It is very important to know the costs generated by the purchase of a boat, used or new, because in addition to the net price of the boat, the acquisition of a ship represents a significant annual cost. Being aware of this before you buy is essential and can also guide you to set a maximum rate for the price of your boat. Here are the annual costs of a boat to take into account when budgeting:
- Fuel: Motorboat means gasoline and fuel. Depending on the number of your trips at sea and your activity (pleasure, fishing, leisure, etc.) fuel can represent a considerable budget.
- Sea passport: Depending on the length and power of your used boat, prices are quite variable and range from relatively small amounts to larger investments.
Stopovers: Mooring in a port or marina will usually be quite expensive, depending on the season and location. Remember to find out beforehand by calling.
- Card stations: the purchase of a card and a digital card system is essential, it is necessary to count at least 50â‚¬ per year
- General maintenance: Plan a budget with your dealer and experts to estimate the general maintenance budget for your boat. Because it depends on your boat, its current condition and your use. Cowling, painting, draining, sealing, anode changes, lubrication of steering components. Plus the maintenance of the engine and thermal propulsion, which will cost you several hundred euros per year.
Trailer: the cheapest solution, you can find a winter storage for a relatively small fee.
- A flot: Depending on the size and the mooring area, prices are very variable
- Insurance: Modest investment for the smallest motor boats, it can go up to several thousand euros for large boats.
THE CRITERIA FOR CHOOSING A USED MOTOR BOAT MODEL
THE PRICE :
As mentioned above, it is necessary to provide a budget for the acquisition of the boat but also the additional costs, which often depend on the size and power of the boat. The more expensive a boat is to buy, the more it will generate significant additional and annual costs.
THINK ABOUT RENTAL MANAGEMENT!
What is rental management?
After the purchase of your boat, you have the possibility to put your boat under rental management. Thus you benefit from a place in the port, a well maintained boat and always able to sail while making your ship available for rental, ensuring you a regular income.
Discover rental management with Bleu Rivage and contact us to learn more.
WHICH SIZE BOAT TO CHOOSE?
Always according to your use and your comfort desires. For fishing or sailing with family and friends.
The different dimensions to be observed are:
height under bar
LAYOUT AND NUMBER OF CABINS
Number of cabinsNumber of
owner or charter cabinsPower
these characteristics to evaluate the power and performance of the used boat.
weight / car surface ratio
and additional equipmentWhat
are the options and equipment of this boat? Depending on usage and your expectations, this concept is essential. Do not take a boat with a superb sunbathing if you want to fish at sea for example: Maintenance
and materials of the boat:
THE DIMENSION OF THE MODEL
Check out some magazines to get boat ratings and the real value of the targeted used boat.
PRECAUTIONS TO TAKE BEFORE BUYING A USED MOTOR BOAT
QUESTIONS TO ASK THE SELLER:
- First hand?
Is it a first-hand boat? Who was the previous owner?
- Guaranteed :
Is the boat still under warranty? How long does this warranty last?
- Boat rating:
What is the coast of the used boat?
- Boat expertise?
When was the boat appraised? Any defects found?
- Condition of the hull and deck: scratches, impacts, corrosion?
- State of the engine and general mechanics: engine, inverter, propeller, propeller shaft, motor chair?
- The boatâ€™s past problems: Has it been damaged? Bottom contact? Miscellaneous repairs?
- The repairs to be done? Are there any repairs to be made, to be planned?
- How was this boat used before? How do the former owners use this boat, for what purposes?
- How was it maintained? Did the previous owner take care of it?
- When the parts were changed? Batteries, engine belts, filter, rigging.
- Does it meet the safety standards of the coastal or offshore permit?
THE PAPERS TO BE CHECKED:
- Francization deed or traffic card
- Vessel registration
- Expert report
- Date of the last expertise
EXAMINE THE BOAT ASHORE: WHAT TO OBSERVE
- State of the boatâ€™s structure
- Status of the interior design
- Engine and engine compartment status
- On-board electronics status
- Plumbing condition
TRYING THE BOAT AT SEA: WHAT TO DO
- Test the engine
- Testing the Rigging
- Check deck fittings
- Check the boatâ€™s behaviour at sea
LAST STEP; BEFORE BUYING A USED BOAT
SOME FORMALITIES BEFORE BUYING THE BOAT:
- Insure your boat before delivery
- Verify that the francization fees have been paid
- Check if the boat has any debts
DOCUMENT TO HAVE DURING THE PURCHASE OF THE BOAT:
- Traffic card
- Act of francization
- Deed of sale
- Ownerâ€™s manual
- Boat Operation Manual
- All the keys to the boat plus the doubles
- Sellerâ€™s contact details: address, number, surname, first name, email